Town of Lincoln
Vermont 05443

Church Winter Store

        Town Logo

 
 

the village of lincoln

Known primarily for its beautiful natural surroundings, Lincoln is situated at the foot of Mount Abraham and the village center rests on the banks of the New Haven River. Surrounded by forests and farms, the town values its scenic beauty and rural character. Lincoln is about a half-hour drive from major ski areas Mad River Glen and Sugarbush.

Though the majority of the population of 1200 residents lies scattered over 44.4 square miles, the small village center has a landmark church, the Old Hotel, a General Store, a new modern library, an exceptional elementary school, a cooperative preschool, and a recently renovated Burnham Hall which hosts events from elections to town meetings to concerts to plays. Bristol (pop. 3500) lies 7 miles away in the valley below. The larger Middlebury (pop. 9000) is another 13 miles farther southwest. Middlebury College hosts frequent cultural events and is home to a summer language school that promotes many foreign language happenings. Burlington, the state’s largest city and home of the University of Vermont is about an hour north.

Settled originally by Quakers and chartered in 1780, Lincoln Town, unlike the mountain, was not named for our 16th president who had not yet been born. Colonel Benjamin Simmons, the holder of the charter, named the town after Major General Benjamin Lincoln, under whom he had served and who had played a vital role in getting the Massachusetts Militia to Bennington, Vermont to repel the British in 1777.

Much of this information is taken from the town history published by the Lincoln Historical Society.